• Notes for VABF05 (Much Apu about Something)

From Matt Garvey@1:2320/100 to alt.tv.simpsons on Mon Jan 18 10:47:35 2016
    From Newsgroup: alt.tv.simpsons

This episode was very uneven. I liked the general ideas behind the plots (Apu's
    being stuck in the past, Bart's prank subplot), and some of the gags were funny, but it was also very over the top and full of stupid gags and situations
    that made no sense. I'm not sure what was going on with the season 1 characterizations of the kids at times, either.
    DYN:
    ...the spoken statue commercial disclaimer had extremely long gaps for some reason?
    ...Jay/Jamshed spells "chickpea" as two words and says "ATM machine"?
    ...this is the second episode in a row (VABF04 last week) with the final issue of a magazine (Giving Up, Thing)?
    Previous episode stuff
    3F20: Title influenced by this, I suppose (or else it would just have been about Nothing), though the basic story seemed a little more like 1F10's
    3G03: Shary Bobbins in cloud intro (and sucked into "O" in Simpsons like the jet engine)
    9F01: Springfield Volunteer Fire Department, still with Krusty (and Skinner), but now minus Apu and Wiggum!
    3F19: Homer mocks Abe's "dickety" thing
    4F07: Apu's jacked-up prices during the hurricane noted
    Meta
    Several very old things came back up again, including "I didn't do it, nobody saw me do it, you can't prove anything", "ay caramba", El Barto graffiti, and Bart and Lisa tormenting Abe. Not sure why (was there a point to be made?).
    A bit more deconstruction of the strangling, too, and perhaps a reason Bart seems really into A Clockwork Orange.
    Finally
    In an interesting coincidence, the new Bob's Burgers right before this episode (5ASA12, The Cook, the Steve, the Gayle, and Her Lover, whose title reference I
    get primarily thanks to HABF15) had a running gag about Indiana Jones.

SEEN-BY: 2320/105 154/30 2320/100 0 1 227/0