• Computers and Hobbies

From Damon A. Getsman@1:2320/100 to Daryl Stout on Sun Oct 4 16:13:02 2015
    Re: Re: Weather Was: Summer Plans
    By: Daryl Stout to Damon A. Getsman on Wed Sep 30 2015 10:42:41

Well, I'll be running a hybrid system by the time you read
    this...Virtual Advanced (VADV-PHP) on the website, and GT Power 20 on
    telnet.

Nice. I really need to take some time when I've got the RAM available to start a new Windows VM that I can learn some of the administrative details for Windows networks with. I don't mind being confined to UNIX for looking for work, but I have the feeling at times that it might be a little bit easier finding work if I wasn't just stuck in that area. Either way, I'd like to keep
    my talents as portable as possible.

The VADV (Virtual Advanced) telnet server kept crashing, so I'm going
    back to my BBS roots with GT Power. While messages will be imported,
    only the local areas will be viewable via the website. Otherwise, folks
    will have to logon via telnet or FTelnet.

Gotcha. I'm gonna have to do some googling, it appears. Or Alphabetting, now, I guess.

I'm in my mid-50's now, and while none of us is getting any younger, I
    try to make the most of every day. Some folks hate to be wished "happy
    birthday". In one of the hobbies I do, square dancing, I get yellowrocks
    (hugs) from the ladies...and vice versa for the ladies. :)

*laugh* I don't mind being wished happy birthday but I usually don't go out of my way to advertise it. Seems that they stopped meaning as much to me when I got into my late 20s. Next one is going to be 38 this month. Wheeeee
    Yellow rocks... It might be too telling of my character that the first thing
    that I think about when I see that is drug related. Too much terrible TV. :)
    Catch ya on the flip!

-D
    --- SBBSecho 2.27-OpenBSD
    # Origin: Tinfoil.synchro.net - now at FTN (1:340/200) (1:340/200)
    # Origin: LiveWire BBS -=*=- telnet://livewirebbs.com (1:2320/100)
    * Origin: LiveWire BBS - Synchronet - LiveWireBBS.com (1:2320/100)
  • From Daryl Stout@1:2320/100 to Damon A. Getsman on Mon Oct 5 18:49:02 2015
    start a new Windows VM that I can learn some of the administrative details
    fo
    Windows networks with. I don't mind being confined to UNIX for looking for work, but I have the feeling at times that it might be a little bit easier finding work if I wasn't just stuck in that area. Either way, I'd like to keep
    my talents as portable as possible.

Sometimes I wonder if I'm spreading myself too thin. :P I've had to rebuild the files database (FILES.BBS) files...and considering there are over 10,000 files to process, I'm still working on it. The format between Virtual Advanced and GT Power are not compatible with each other. I have a utility to help, but in some cases, I have to refer to an older list of all files to get the descriptions. I also discovered I had forgotten to implement a utility to make the messages Y2K compliant...my message base utility was zapping everything (blush!).

Gotcha. I'm gonna have to do some googling, it appears. Or Alphabetting, now, I guess.

I use Google more than Bing, since my default browser is Google Chrome. I had used Opera for a long time...even back when it was still shareware. But, I've been very pleased with Chrome...especially considering I can load it on any of my computers, and it remembers all the passwords.

*laugh* I don't mind being wished happy birthday but I usually don't go
    ou
    of my way to advertise it. Seems that they stopped meaning as much to me
    whe
    I got into my late 20s. Next one is going to be 38 this month. Wheeeee
    Yellow rocks... It might be too telling of my character that the first thing
    that I think about when I see that is drug related. Too much terrible TV.

I joke that "I'm too old to cut the mustard, but can still stir the mayonnaise, and lick the jar. So, pass the BLT, onion ring, and Doctor Pepper, and no one gets hurt". <G>

It is RARE I eat cake anymore...although I bought some "cotton candy ice cream sandwiches" at Wal-Mart the other day. They're surprisingly good, and no chocolate with them (the outer things of the sandwich are vanilla instead).

As for the yellowrocks, it's basically "a friendly hug". There are also variations...

1) Red Rock - Hug the caller (square dance) or cuer (round dance). Preferably a member of the opposite sex.

2) Yellow Rock - Your regular hug.

3) Orange Rock - Found in tropical climates...navel to navel. <G>

4) Purple Rock - A Yellowrock with passion, but NOT lust. <BG>

5) Pony Rock - A Yellowrock with a little horsing around. <VBG>

6) Rainbow Rock - A combination of all of the above. <LOL>

The first night of lessons (I thought it'd be similar to what I had done in elementary school years earlier...WRONG!!), all these women I didn't know (and some were rather good looking <G>), were giving me these hugs. I thought to myself "What have I gotten myself into??". But, after graduation, it was like "NEXT!!". <G>

Also, if you give a yellowrock incorrectly, you have to go back to back, and "rub together" to erase it...then you can give a yellowrock properly.
    <EG>. But, all that's part of the fun, and one of the callers termed it "a mental enema". Indeed...you can have a hard day at work, where everything you touch turns to manure...but you go to a square dance, where the dancers are "high level", and the caller feeds off that. In just minutes, you forget all about the crap you went through during the day...and you can go home and sleep like a rock. It sure is much cheaper than seeing a psychiartrist. :)

Daryl

--- GTMail 1.26
    # Origin: The Thunderbolt BBS, Little Rock, Arkansas (1:19/33.0)
    # Origin: LiveWire BBS -=*=- telnet://livewirebbs.com (1:2320/100)
    * Origin: LiveWire BBS - Synchronet - LiveWireBBS.com (1:2320/100)