• In Portland, OR, as a single father

From Damon A. Getsman@1:2320/100 to All on Sat Jan 31 17:13:02 2015
    The other factor that needs to be taken into account with the setting that we're currently in is that we're _still_ couchsurfing. That is, there are no separate rooms, there's no real place for us to put our stuff, and the person who was kind enough to let us stay with him had the place full to the brim of his stuff when we got here. So there's not really enough space in this place to do anything with toys, and usually it's in unacceptable condition for inviting anyone over here. He reads his books, but he reads through them so fast that I can't keep up. I have located a local library here, which will, no
    doubt, help a bunch, but that's just not done yet. Due to the issues that I had, I was unable to get out of the apartment for quite some time, which really
    held us back in some of those areas.
    This neighborhood is quickly gentrifying. However, our local area is still
    pretty full of late 20-somethings, and early 30-somethings. It's an upscale neighborhood, just outside of Portland Metro. So almost all of these people have no kids. In fact the only two that I know of that have kids; well, one is
    over a block away (I'll get to how something ridiculously small like that is an
    issue in a bit here), and the other is not near his age, nor do his parents seem to like anyone else, except for the police whom they love to call on anybody that drives anything bigger than a Geo Metro. Gotta love militant environmentalists, especially when you're trapped in your vehicle that was perfectly necessary in the plains, but has too many problems to get rid of or trade right now.
    The one block issue is an issue only because of the kinds of people in this
    neighborhood. There are two kinds in particular that are coming into play at this point. The first are the young upstanding professionals, who were all raised by 'helicopter parents' themselves (I'll get to that in a sec, as I said). My son is a little bit small for his age. If he wasn't, I'd probably be okay with it, but as it is, I'm dead terrified that he'll get the police called on him for being out checking out the area on his own. Plus, in a slightly busier neighborhood the other day, someone damn near put in in the ER because they didn't know how to drive worth a tin shit. I hope _he_ learned from that experience (well, everyone involved, actually).
    The next kinds are the ones that've been pushed out of portland metro just recently by the police department. They've been pushing the homeless, including the homeless crackheads and alcoholics, out of the metro, but not out
    of the surrounding areas so much yet. So as their population here spikes, the streets, and anything left on them, are becoming rapidly less safe. Makes me wish that we would've been stable enough to get him into Aikido for a few years
    by now, at least. He's in Tae Kwon Do now, but still a white belt, and not nearly proficient in it. Not that TKD is ever really proficient in a street fight, though it can definitely provide a bit of an advantage and confidence.
    So. On to helicopter parenting. This was actually a term coined by my friend 'Neuro', a user on this BBS. It's a term used to describe the latest phenomena of parents who don't let their kids have _any_ unstructured or unsupervised time. While this can be great for learned skills, it can be terrible for having a kid ready for the real world. In an area where it is the
    norm, you stand to be called an incompetent parent if your children are out on their own. He doesn't even have a group of friends to go out with yet, because
    of the factors that I've already mentioned. One good friend with him from school almost turned out, but his mom became a complete and utter flake. Whatever she's doing is far more important than her son's socialization.
    I wouldn't worry so much about being called an incompetent parent, when I'm
    giving him the experience and the skills that he needs to survive, if I had a job, my own place, and everything right now. As it stands, though, the last thing that I need is CPS looking into the situation. I mean everything is legit, but it's not like I have any sort of real leg to stand on showing that I'm a 'Fine Upstanding Citizen'(tm) brand American Single Parent.
    Apropos of all of this: he's spending almost all of his time on video games, except when I helicopter parent him out to the park. Which has been nearly impossible for months of raining cold here. His behavior is getting rather ADHD because of it (using the term loosely-- just meaning that he is instant reward trained now, and freaks out when having to do anything that requires perseverence and long-term dedication now). He is also suffering from
    the fact that he's had no friends to hang out with regularly for a long time. He doesn't say as much, but he's the type that keeps those things to himself. I know that it bothers him from his behavior, and the general stress that we've
    been in for 2 years straight now has him grinding his teeth all night long.
    So yeah... I'm gonna send this out as it is right now. Long story short, I don't know what to do about it other than to keep pushing for a job, now that
    I've got myself stable, and get the hell out of it. I just wish there was something I could do quicker. There's plenty of meet-ups, but my vehicle being
    gone now is making that rougher, especially on school days.
    Hope y'all are well. Any tips, advice, or even amusing anecdotes of your own to take my mind off of this for a bit are greatly appreciated.
    Namaste'.

-Damo
    --- SBBSecho 2.27-OpenBSD
    # Origin: Tinfoil.synchro.net - now at FTN (1:340/200) (1:340/200)
    # Origin: LiveWire BBS -=*=- telnet://livewirebbs.com (1:2320/100)
    * Origin: LiveWire BBS - Synchronet - LiveWireBBS.com (1:2320/100)
  • From Nancy Backus@1:2320/100 to Damon A. Getsman on Thu Feb 5 17:14:02 2015
    Quoting Damon A. Getsman to All on 31-Jan-2015 16:49 <=-

The other factor that needs to be taken into account with the setting that we're currently in is that we're _still_ couchsurfing. That is, there are no separate rooms, there's no real place for us to put our stuff, and the person who was kind enough to let us stay with him had
    the place full to the brim of his stuff when we got here. So there's
    not really enough space in this place to do anything with toys, and usually it's in unacceptable condition for inviting anyone over here.

It's good you have a roof over your head, but granted, that's still
    nowhere near an ideal situation...

He reads his books, but he reads through them so fast that I
    can't keep up. I have located a local library here, which will, no doubt, help a bunch, but that's just not done yet. Due to the issues that I had, I was unable to get out of the apartment for quite some
    time, which really held us back in some of those areas.

Have you considered getting him some sort of electronic book reader,
    and downloading books for him...? Or is that out of the question financially...? How far away is the library...? It's a shame that
    things are less safe than they were back when I was a kid... I used to
    hang out at the local library all the time, could walk there from
    home...

So. On to helicopter parenting. This was actually a term coined
    by my friend 'Neuro', a user on this BBS. It's a term used to describe the latest phenomena of parents who don't let their kids have _any_ unstructured or unsupervised time. While this can be great for learned skills, it can be terrible for having a kid ready for the real world.

Some of it is driven by the kids wanting to be involved in all sorts of
    things, from music to sports to other activities.... but many parents
    tend to push kids into things they aren't really all that interested in,
    to be sure. I suspect that part of it came from having smaller families
    so that that sort of running around on the parents' part was even
    feasible... when you have 5 or more kids, it's harder to go in all the different directions... and, besides, the kids have siblings to go out
    and play with. Not to say that only having one child is a problem in
    itself, it just makes it more difficult to find other kids to play
    with... (Coming from someone who is the oldest of 8 kids, and ended up
    only being able to have one child...)

I wouldn't worry so much about being called an incompetent parent,
    when I'm giving him the experience and the skills that he needs to survive, if I had a job, my own place, and everything right now. As
    it stands, though, the last thing that I need is CPS looking into the situation. I mean everything is legit, but it's not like I have any
    sort of real leg to stand on showing that I'm a 'Fine Upstanding Citizen'(tm) brand American Single Parent.

Keeping him clothed and fed and in school should go a ways in showing
    that you are a proper father, however... and the other hopefully will
    come as you are better stabilized and can find a decent job... :)

Long story short, I don't know what to do about
    it other than to keep pushing for a job, now that I've got myself
    stable, and get the hell out of it. I just wish there was something I could do quicker. There's plenty of meet-ups, but my vehicle being
    gone now is making that rougher, especially on school days.

Sometimes one just has to keep plodding, one foot after another, and
    hope the goal is eventually met... :)

ttyl neb

... We are born naked, wet and hungry. Then things get worse.

--- EzyBlueWave V3.00 01FB001F
    # Origin: Tiny's BBS - Oshawa, ON, CA http://tinysbbs.com (1:229/452)
  • From Damon A. Getsman@1:2320/100 to Nancy Backus on Thu Feb 5 18:38:02 2015
    Re: Re: In Portland, OR, as a single father
    By: Nancy Backus to Damon A. Getsman on Thu Feb 05 2015 17:06:00

It's good you have a roof over your head, but granted, that's still nowhere near an ideal situation...

It's much better than hitching it along the pacific shoreline headed for Chile', at least. ;)

Have you considered getting him some sort of electronic book reader,
    and downloading books for him...? Or is that out of the question financially...? How far away is the library...? It's a shame that things are less safe than they were back when I was a kid... I used to hang out at the local library all the time, could walk there from
    home...

Well, for now it's out of the question financially. We've got a couple of portable electronic devices now that are capable, but too small for easy reading. I'm not sure where the closest library is, just a few that I've stumbled across. I'll open a google maps tab for that right now, actually. Yeah, I used to go to one, too. About a mile away, but I'd stay there for a looooong time. Plus my dad always took me there to hang out while he was checking out stamp catalogs and value guides. Heh.
    I'll look into finding a cheap 400MHz android ripoff tablet or something, though. I didn't think about that because I hate electronic format books so much, but I don't think he'll hate it at all. They're amazingly cost effective, so yeah. Thank you for the awesome idea.

Some of it is driven by the kids wanting to be involved in all sorts of things, from music to sports to other activities.... but many parents
    tend to push kids into things they aren't really all that interested in, to be sure. I suspect that part of it came from having smaller families so that that sort of running around on the parents' part was even feasible... when you have 5 or more kids, it's harder to go in all the different directions... and, besides, the kids have siblings to go out
    and play with. Not to say that only having one child is a problem in itself, it just makes it more difficult to find other kids to play
    with... (Coming from someone who is the oldest of 8 kids, and ended up only being able to have one child...)

I've got a lot of theories on the whole thing, personally, and so does my roommate. One of the worst horror stories I've heard about it, though, was a father who realized that his daughter had hit 16 years old and, at tops, had had like 75 minutes unscheduled time before. What kind of pressure cooker are we putting kids like that into? How are they going to know how to socialize? It just seems like an inhumane way to raise a kid, to me, and if they spend all
    of their time in structured activities, how the hell are they going to get the practice that they need to be able to deal with what the real world throws at them out on the streets?
    Sorry about the one kid thing, if you were hoping to have more. I want to have a sibling for my son, other than his half sisters (in Germany), but my life isn't nearly stable enough and I don't have a decent mother candidate in mind. Heh. By the time I have all of those things squared away I'm pretty sure I'm only going to be dating post-menopausal women.
    You're right, though. I always hated being an only child. It was a horror, especially with abusive parents.

Keeping him clothed and fed and in school should go a ways in showing
    that you are a proper father, however... and the other hopefully will come as you are better stabilized and can find a decent job... :)

Indeed. I'm just glad I'm out of the phase where I feel I'm looking for the light at the end of the tunnel, and into a phase where I actually am out in the
    light, or at least close enough to it so that it's not just a dot any more. :)
    I'm really well stabilized now, for the most part, and it only gets better; right now I'm more stable than I've been since I started college. I've been putting out enough code each day to keep my portfolio nice 'n full along with applying for jobs hours every day. I'm pretty sure with the amount of effort that I'm putting into things that I'll have many fewer unstructured hours in my
    own day very soon. ;)

Sometimes one just has to keep plodding, one foot after another, and
    hope the goal is eventually met... :)

Indeed. Drive on, soldier, drive on...
    --- SBBSecho 2.27-OpenBSD
    # Origin: Tinfoil.synchro.net - now at FTN (1:340/200) (1:340/200)