• Dadonov in leadership role

From IIHF News@1:266/404 to All on Fri May 4 20:30:04 2018
    Aside from 39-year-old captain Pavel Datsyuk, this year's Russian team doesn't have a player over 30. One of its most experienced players is Yevgeni Dadonov.

This will be Dadonov's fifth straight World Championship and he's played every game the past four years. After being a depth player on a stacked Russian team that won the gold in Minsk in 2014,

he's been an offensive force the past three years, compiling 32 points over 30 games while adding a silver and two bronzes to his collection.

This year, 29-year-old Dadonov will be wearing an "A" on his jersey, taking on a leadership role on a younger team and coming straight from his first season in the NHL with the Florida Panthers

since his return to North America.

"It's not so different," he said of his role on the team this year compared to the past. "They've given the letter to me because I've been here before, so I'm
    okay with that. I accept that and I

try to be a leader and help the guys however I can."

He added: "Most of these guys have some experience, so it's not like they need too much, but I try to be a good example so they can see how I prepare and work
    hard on and off the ice."

It's good work habits that not only brought Dadonov back to the NHL in 2017/18 after a five-year absence, but helped him thrive. He first went to North America in 2009 as a 20-year-old to play for

the Florida Panthers, but after three seasons that were spent mostly in the AHL, he returned home.

During five seasons in the KHL - two with Donbass Donetsk and three with SKA St. Petersburg - Danodov developed into a more complete player. He played a key
    role in SKA winning two Gagarin Cups

with timely scoring, leading the playoffs with 15 goals in 2015 and netting three game-winners in the spring of 2017. As such, his role with the Russian national team increased, and so did interest

from the NHL again.

"The whole time I was in Russia, I wanted to go back there," he admitted. "Then
    when my contract was up, I got some good offers."

The offer Dadonov ended up accepting took him back to a familiar place, becoming a Florida Panther once again. He explained: "It was really the best opportunity for me. I tried to look at as many

offers as I could, and then I decided what was best for me and my family."

This time, Dadonov made the most of his opportunity. Not only did he crack the Panthers' line-up, but he was one of the team's most prolific scorers - his 65 points ranked fourth on the team,

despite missing eight games.

"It was five years and a lot can change in that time," he explained after developing into a better player for the Panthers back in the Russian league. "I
    think I changed. I was a bit more

experienced, stronger, older and maybe wiser. A lot was different."

Besides Dadonov there are two other Panthers playing in this year's World Championship - Canadian defenceman Aaron Ekblad, Finnish goalie Harri Sateri and young forward Maxim Mamin, who has cracked

Russia's 25-man roster and might see action in Denmark.

"I don't know how good his chances are, but I think he's a good player," Dadonov said of his NHL and World Championship teammate. "He always works hard and he's played well for us so far, so if he

keeps that up I think he has a chance."

Dadonov has never left the World Championships without a medal and, combined with the Olympic gold won by the Olympic Athletes from Russia, expectations will be high for this team. However, this

roster contains 10 players who have never played a World Championship or Olympic game before, so how does Dadonov think they'll do?

"It's hard to say because there are going to be a lot of good teams there. It's
    going to be a good tournament with lots of NHL players coming over. It's a big challenge for Team Russia but, as

always, our goal is to play for the gold medal."

DEREK O'BRIEN Russia's Yevgeni Dadonov and Team USA's Charlie McAvoy battle for
    the puck during last year's IIHF Ice Hockey World Championship. Photo: Andre Ringuette / HHOF-IIHF Images

http://https://www.new-iihf.com/en/events/2018/wm/news/2267/dadonov-in-leadership-role
    --- SBBSecho 3.04-Win32
    * Origin: TequilaMockingbird Online - Toms River, NJ (1:266/404)