• The Old Internet Is ALIVE!

From Baud to All on Thu Jun 8 18:48:21 2023
    With things like reddit failing, and APIs become more and more locked and "pay tp play", where does the BBS fit into 2023?

I think it starts here again. With local, decentralized networks that represent their communities. Anything you could ever want is right here: file sharing, public and private messaging, single/co-op/competitive gaming. The protocols are mature. The clients are mature. I realize that everything we have today, "The Modern Web" or "Web3" are evolutions of the architecture that are in place here. ANSI evolved into full graphics. 2400 baud connections evolved into synchronous 10Gigabit fiber to your home - if you're lucky. ;)

I know some BBSes allow you to interact with them via NNTP. Would it be crazy to create a WASM client served via traditional HTTPS? What about a VR client?

BBSes have a place in 2023.

- baud
  • From The Great G Ferd to Baud on Mon Jul 24 22:13:58 2023
    Re: The Old Internet Is ALIVE!
    By: Baud to All on Thu Jun 08 2023 06:48 pm

With things like reddit failing, and APIs become more and more locked and "p

I think it starts here again. With local, decentralized networks that repres ts are mature. I realize that everything we have today, "The Modern Web" or
    you're lucky. ;)

I know some BBSes allow you to interact with them via NNTP. Would it be craz

BBSes have a place in 2023.

- baud
    I don't know about Reddit failing, I personally agree strongly with the decision. Nothing is worse than bots hitting your site (which is what an API looks like) causing havic, and giving away the content you are hosting for free. What gets me more mad is mods taking down reddits to try to prove a point where as very little users use API readers (or even know what one is).

I would love to see more of a come back of BBSes. It is neat seeing the retro scene coming back. People creating hardware mods for old computers, people coding new games and software. BBSes is where it all started. Yes there was usenet early on, but access to it was very difficult and BBSes filled that void. You needed tech support on something, you called the BBS for that product. The BBS community was always pretty friendly and a way of life. Hope it never fades and gets stronger.