• FILE_ID.DIZ

From Skidadil to All on Sun Jun 25 20:08:51 2023
    I ran a Renegade BBS for several years in the 90s called Social Goats Realm. It was an absolute blast. It was a ton of fun logging on here and
    going down the proverbial memory lane. Although I've worked in IT all my life, I haven't met anyone else who ran a BBS. Sometimes I want to ask
    "Anyone remember what FILE_ID.DIZ was used for?". Totally geeky abd ramdom of me, I know. But it's the first thing I looked for within a random
    .zip file. :-)

Anyway, this was fun. Thanks for running this place!
  • From Hustler to Skidadil on Fri Jul 14 16:04:49 2023
    Re: FILE_ID.DIZ
    By: Skidadil to All on Sun Jun 25 2023 08:08 pm

I ran a Renegade BBS for several years in the 90s called Social Goats

Me too. Renegade was free or was it shareware? I forget.

"Anyone remember what FILE_ID.DIZ was used for?". Totally geeky abd ramdom

Yeah file_id.diz held the file descrptions along with the group that "cracked" it. Those were the days. Welcome back Skidadil!
  • From Skidadil to Hustler on Sat Jul 22 21:10:59 2023
    By: Hustler to Skidadil on Fri Jul 14 2023 04:04 pm

Me too. Renegade was free or was it shareware? I forget.
    Free ... I think. It was free to me at least. ;-)
  • From The Great G Ferd to Skidadil on Mon Jul 24 21:59:41 2023
    By: Skidadil to All on Sun Jun 25 2023 08:08 pm

I ran a Renegade BBS for several years in the 90s called Social Goats Realm. going down the proverbial memory lane. Although I've worked in IT all my lif "Anyone remember what FILE_ID.DIZ was used for?". Totally geeky abd ramdom o .zip file. :-)

Anyway, this was fun. Thanks for running this place!

If you ran a BBS on AmiExpress or PCBoard (and clones), when uploading files, the FILE_ID.DIZ was autopopulated into the description of the upload. Not sure what other BBS software used those, but thos were the two main ones I know about. Just stopping by to say hello! Cool to see some old BBSes still running.