• My first original, not a reply, CSMA post - that I can find

From Thomas E.@thomas.e.elam@gmail.com to comp.sys.mac.advocacy on Wed Feb 21 11:55:40 2024
    From Newsgroup: comp.sys.mac.advocacy

I was right, M$ is still around and doing rather well. So is Apple, and I was not so positive about that company back then.
    Jan 22, 1998
    Well, everybody keeps saying it's all over for good old M$, but here we go again.....
    ===========================
    Redmond, Washington – January 21, 1998 –
    Microsoft Corporation today announced net income of $1.13 billion, and earnings per share of $0.85 for the quarter ended December 31, 1997, a 49% increase over the $0.57 earnings per share reported for the corresponding quarter last year. Revenues totaled $3.59 billion, a 34% increase over the $2.68 billion during the same quarter last year.
    "European revenues were up 33% over the same quarter last year and OEM revenues expanded 40%," noted Greg Maffei, chief financial officer. "But the news isn’t
    all good, as revenues from Southeast Asia and the Far East declined 8% from the prior quarter. Economic weakness in these geographies clouds the outlook for calendar 1998."
    Microsoft® Office 97 continued its impressive momentum by posting its third consecutive quarter of increased shipments, while the Microsoft Windows® 95 operating system was seasonally strong. "Office 97 continues to be a success because it offers customers ease of use, reduced cost of ownership, and true web integration," said Jon DeVaan, vice president, Desktop Applications Division.
    --- Synchronet 3.20a-Linux NewsLink 1.114