• Helpful Video

From Mike Dippel@316:36/57 to All on Fri Mar 11 08:01:44 2022
    I created a video yesterday that hopes to explain to the 'average joe' how to create an
    account, and use the BBS to their advantage. I'm hoping to bring in new users to the BBS.

It can be found here:
    https://fb.watch/bGiWT-NxHQ/

Any feedback is welcome. Perhaps other sysops wishing to expand their User base can do
    this as well.

Mike Dippel

--- Platinum Xpress/Win/WINServer v7.0
    * Origin: The Hobby Line! BBS - hobbylinebbs.com (316:36/57)
  • From Nightfox@316:36/30 to Mike Dippel on Wed May 18 10:25:52 2022
    Re: Helpful Video
    By: Mike Dippel to All on Fri Mar 11 2022 08:01 am

I created a video yesterday that hopes to explain to the 'average joe' how to create an account, and use the BBS to their advantage. I'm hoping to bring in new users to the BBS.

I haven't watched the video yet, but these days, can we really have high hopes of bringing new users into the BBS scene? It seems most people moved onto bigger things such as the internet years ago, and there are many people these days who don't even know what a BBS is.

Recently I've been playing online virtual trivia games (that are done over Zoom by a company called Sporcle), and I found a group of people who play regularly, and I joined a chat group they have. Several weeks ago, I mentioned in the group chat that I run a BBS and have a trivia door game, but nobody reesponded. Later in one of the games, one person mentioned it and said he used to use BBSes, and someone else mentioned something about it in another game - so maybe only two people in that group knew or cared what I was talking about.

Nightfox
    --- SBBSecho 3.15-Win32
    * Origin: Digital Distortion: digdist.synchro.net (316:36/30)
  • From Mike Dippel@316:36/57 to Nightfox on Wed May 18 14:15:30 2022
    On 5/18/2022 10:32 AM, Nightfox wrote to Mike Dippel:

I created a video yesterday that hopes to explain to the 'average joe' how
    to create an account, and use the BBS to their advantage. I'm hoping to bring in new users to the BBS.

I haven't watched the video yet, but these days, can we really have high hopes
    of bringing new users into the BBS scene? It seems most people moved onto bigger things such as the internet years ago, and there are many people these
    days who don't even know what a BBS is.

Recently I've been playing online virtual trivia games (that are done over Zoom
    by a company called Sporcle), and I found a group of people who play regularly,
    and I joined a chat group they have. Several weeks ago, I mentioned in the group chat that I run a BBS and have a trivia door game, but nobody reesponded.
    Later in one of the games, one person mentioned it and said he used to use BBSes, and someone else mentioned something about it in another game - so maybe
    only two people in that group knew or cared what I was talking about.

Nightfox

I actually have done 2 videos: One for the general public which I posted in my Facebook
    pages for both my personal and my business, and one for a website I do for a customer
    to try and get his students to use it.

I have had 2 new users as a result.

It's not foolproof, but t is a way to use social media to your advantage.

Mike Dippel

--- Platinum Xpress/Win/WINServer v7.0
    * Origin: The Hobby Line! BBS - hobbylinebbs.com (316:36/57)